Washington Notice to Contractor Form

Download your
Notice to Contractor Form

About Washington Notice to Contractor Form

Subcontractors and suppliers in Washington can use this Notice to Contractor form to send notice to the general contractor and retain the right to file a mechanics lien or make a bond claim.

On private projects, any party who doesn’t have a contract with the owner or general contractor must provide the GC with a Washington preliminary notice. This is in addition to their Notice to Owner requirement.

On public projects, Washington requires any party furnishing materials, supplies, or provisions to any subcontractor to send preliminary notice to the general contractor to preserve the right to make a bond claim in Washington.

On a public works project in Washington Public Works Project, contractors who do not have a contract with the general contractor must send a Notice to Contractor form to preserve their right to make a claim against the bond, including to make a claim for the retainage. The notice must be sent to the prime contractor. If you contracted with a sub or sub-sub, the notice must be sent to the prime within 10 days of furnishing labor/materials. Otherwise, all other claimants must sent within 60 days of furnishing labor/materials.

This form meets the requirements set forth in Washington Statute Chapter 60.04 – Mechanics’ and Materialmens’ Liens.

Washington Notice to Contractor form preview

Skip the hassle of sending a Washington Preliminary Notice yourself.

We’re the Preliminary Notice experts. With us it’s fast, easy, affordable, and done right!
mechanics lien county recorder e-filing.

Washington County Recorders

Looking to file/record a mechanics lien in Washington? You'll need to get your Washington mechanics lien filed and recorded with the county recorder in the county where the construction project is located. Here is a listing of all county recorders in Washington. Click on any county to find more information about how to get your lien recorded in that county.

Benton County Auditor
620 Market St
Prosser, Washington, 99350
Phone: 509-736-2727
Fax: 509-736-2700

Chelan County Recorder
350 Orondo Avenue
Wenatchee, Washington, 98807
Phone: 509-667-6815
Fax: 509-667-6825

Clark County Recorder's Office
1300 Franklin St
Vancouver, WA 98660

Cowlitz County Auditor
207 4th Ave. N
Kelso, Washington, 98626
Phone: 360-577-3006
Fax: 360-414-5552

Franklin County Auditor
1016 N. 4th Ave.
Pasco, Washington, 99301
Phone: 509-545-3502

Grant County Auditor
35 C St. NW
Ephrata, Washington, 98823
Phone: 509-754-2011
Fax: 509-754-6575

Grays Harbor
Grays Harbor County Auditor
100 W Broadway Suite 2
Montesano, Washington, 98563
Phone: (360) 964-1557

Island County Recorder
P.O. Box 5000
Coupeville, Washington, 98239-5000
Phone: 360-240-5549
Fax: 360-240-5565

Jefferson County Auditor
1820 Jefferson Street
Port Townsend, Washington, 98368
Phone: 360-385-9115

King County Recorder's Office
500 Fourth Avenue Room 311
Seattle, WA 98104

Kitsap County Auditor Recording
619 Division St
Pt. Orchard, Washington, 98366-4687
Phone: 360-337-4935
Fax: 360-337-4645

Kittitas County Auditor
205 W 5th AVE Suite 105
Ellensburg, Washington, 98926
Phone: 509) 962-7504
Fax: 509-962-7687

Lewis County Auditor
351 NW North Street
Chehalis, Washington, 98532
Phone: 360-740-1156

Lincoln County Auditor
450 logan st
Davenport, Washington, 99122
Phone: (509)725-4971
Fax: 509-725-0820

Mason County Auditor
P.O. Box 400 411 N 5th Street
Shelton, Washington, 98584
Phone: 360) 427-9670
Fax: (360) 427-1753

Pacific County Auditors Office
300 Memorial Dr
South Bend, Washington, 98586
Phone: (360) 875-9318
Fax: 360-875-9333

Pend Oreille
625 W 4th Street
Newport, Washington, 99156
Phone: (509) 447-6474

Pierce County Recorder's Office
2401 S 35th Street, ROom 200
Tacoma, WA 98409

San Juan
San Juan County Auditor
350 Court Street
Friday Harbor, Washington, 98250
Phone: 360) 378-2161
Fax: 360-378-6256

Skagit County Auditor
700 s. second st administration building, room 201
Mt Vernon, Washington, 98273
Phone: 3603369420 ext 3
Fax: 360-416-1698

Skamania County Auditor
240 NW Vancouver Ave Attn: Recording
Stevenson, Washington, 9864
Phone: (509) 427-3730
Fax: (509) 427-3740

Snohomish County Recorder's Office
3000 Rockefeller Avenue, M/S 204
Everett, WA 98201

Spokane County Recorder's Office
ATTN: RECORDING 1116 West Broadway Avenue
Spokane, WA 99210

Stevens County Assessor
215 South Oak Street
Colville, Washington, 99114
Phone: 509-684-6161
Fax: 509-684-7580

Thurston County Auditor-Recorder
2000 Lakeridge Dr. SW
Olympia, Washington, 98502
Phone: 360-786-5405
Fax: 360-786-5223

Walla Walla
Walla Walla County Auditor
Second Floor, Rm 201 - 315 West Main St
Walla Walla, Washington, 99362
Phone: 509-524- 2549

Whatcom County Auditor
311 Grand Avenue, Suite 103
Bellingham, Washington, 98225
Phone: 360-778-5100 press 2
Fax: 360-778-5101

Whitman County Auditor
400 N. Main Street Attn: Recording
Colfax, Washington, 99111
Phone: (509) 397-6270

Yakima County Recorder
128 N 2nd St, Room 117
Yakima, Washington, 98901
Phone: 509) 574-1330
Fax: 509) 574-1341

FAQs about Washington Notice to Contractor Form

Recent Questions & Answers About Washington Preliminary Notice
Disclosure statement before work begin

We didnt give Disclosure statement before starting the work RCW 18.27.114 Is the lien cant be placed due to that?

WA state: do i lose lal lien rights if i did not giev model disclosure b4 work starts?

If i contract with the customer directly (I am not a sub) and i did not give customer the model disclosure b4 work started, and...

Can I file a Mechanic’s Lien

I have a building permit service. I applied for the building permit for a client and paid all of the fees. The client is a...

Washington State Preliminary Notice Process Clarification

We are a Subcontractor primarily working within CA, but we now have a Washington Branch. I see the Preliminary Notice requirements are quite different. I...

Would ongoing maintenance work over a period of several years be considered a new job in Washington State?

We do work, on malls for example, and will come back several years later to do maintenance work. Would this be considered a new job,...

Owner not paying for Labor I did on her house.

I did 2 bathroom Remodel and haven't been paid. Owner Supplied all Material. I gave her Estimate of $2,100 main bath & Master bath $2,500...

Ask an Expert for Free

Helpful Articles to Help You With Your Washington Notice to Contractor Form


Washington Preliminary Notices: The Difference Between Public and Private Projects

While working on a construction project, you may need to send a preliminary notice to preserve your mechanics lien rights....

Read more


Who Gets Preliminary Notice When Working on A Condominium Complex in Washington?

Over the weekend, a reader sent in an interesting question about Washington’s preliminary notice requirements. The question relates to construction...

Read more


You Don’t Need Preliminary Notice in Washington For Labor Portion Of Work

On private projects in Washington state, all material suppliers and most subcontractors must deliver a preliminary notice within 60 days...

Read more