Washington State. Can “Handyman” file mechanics lien?

8 months ago

If the project is installing railings in a commercial apartment building, can an unlisenced contractor who had direct contact with owner, and pay is $200, can a “Handyman” file mechanics lien?

Senior Legal Associate Levelset
418 reviews

Washington appears to require that handymen be registered with the state, as set out by WAC 296-200A-016(26). So, to perform handyman work, and to file a mechanics lien for that work, a Washington handyman should likely carry the appropriate registration.

Note, though, that filing a mechanics lien for a $200 debt might not make all that much sense considering the costs associated with a mechanics lien filing. Rather, exploring some other recovery options might be worthwhile – at least at first.

For one, sometimes a simple invoice reminder is all that’s needed in order to get paid. Or, escalating things some with a document like a demand letter might work to get paid. Finally, merely threatening to pursue a mechanics lien claim – with a document like a Notice of Intent to Lien – could work, considering the drastic nature of lien claims.

For more information on Washington mechanics liens, here’s a resource that should be valuable: Washington Mechanics Lien Guide and FAQs.

Disclaimer: The information presented here is not legal advice and should not be construed as such. Rather, this content is provided for informational purposes. Do not act on this information as if it is advice. Further, this post does not create any attorney-client relationship. If you do need legal advice, seek the help of a local attorney.
Your answer or comment:
Are you a Registered Expert?
You are not logged in and will be posting
anonymously. Log in Now
Get answers from construction attorneys and payment experts
120 Character Limit