Home>Levelset Community>Legal Help>Mechanics Lwin for work product?

Mechanics Lwin for work product?

ArizonaConstruction Contract

Hello! I own a travel agency. I have a substantial sale, approx $30k for a lodge in Alaska. The client to wants to stay here and that's not negotiatable. I get a bad vibe about the owner and he's lied to me several times. However disliking someone does not equate to them not paying you. I would be entitled to 10% commission. He has refused to sign a commission agreement. I find this offensive and odd. He's impossible to work with and is rude and accusatory. I've done due diligence by way of asking the property owner if they are in default etc., he days they ate not but will not provide the TMK for his property. I typed in his name and the word scam in Google and the search came up with rip off report on a former recruited employee he failed to pay and attempted to go around the recruiter, and approached the employwe to get hired at another entity to cut the recruiter out of commission. I need some advice. Thx. I'm happy to buy your product but want to know if non construction companies can file the lein. Thank you. The lodge 's in Alaska, the owner is in AZ and the companies operate in both. I'm in Hawaii.

1 reply

Mar 19, 2018
If the other party has a history of not paying commission, you are right to approach the deal with caution. Unfortunately, though, I'm not sure this situation would be appropriate for preserving (or eventually leveraging) mechanics lien rights. As you alluded to above, mechanics liens are a remedy available to those in the construction industry. Services other than construction, such as brokering, landscaping, or engineering, may also give rise to lien rights. However, the arranging for travel lodging likely does not fall under Alaska's mechanics lien lien statute as lienable work (when dealing with lien rights, the location of the property that would be liened determines which state's lien rights apply). Of course, this doesn't mean that other methods of recovery wouldn't be available in the event of nonpayment. Sending demand letters, threatening an action in court or small claims court, or actually instituting such an action would all potentially be effective ways to recover unpaid sums.
0 people found this helpful