How can I get a person into court other than Sheriff Department or a Certified Letter being sent to the house.

4 months ago

A plumber started work on my home and never completed the job
I paid 3200 dollars

Senior Legal Associate Levelset

Any time a person is sued, they’ll be required to “appear” in court in some fashion or another – whether that be responding to the suit with a filing, or actually appearing in person. So, by filing a lawsuit, a homeowner could force their plumber to appear in court.

There are a few things worth noting here. For one, sending a demand letter requiring a plumber to either finish the job or return payment might be helpful – especially if the letter warns the recipient that they’ll face a potential lawsuit if they fail to do so. Sending a demand letter via an attorney can help to resolve the dispute without having to take legal action.

But, if push comes to shove, note that filing a claim Illinois small claims court might be a viable (and even preferable) alternative to traditional litigation. Small claims court is available for disputes under $10,000 (in Illinois), and resolving a legal dispute in small claims court will typically be much faster and cost effective than a traditional court.

As a final note, it might be helpful to first consult with a local construction attorney before deciding how to proceed. They’ll be able to look at the details of your situation and determine how best to proceed.

Your answer or comment:
Are you a Registered Expert?
You are not logged in and will be posting
anonymously. Log in Now