What are the Mssouri Mechanic lien statues when work is being performed on a site with multiple APN’s, like a condo.

2 months ago

For the state of Missouri when second tier supplier is furnishing material to a jobsite what are specific noticing/service requirements. If I deliver material to a single condo unit, do I need to send notice to everyone that owns a condo?

If I am hired by the association, who is required to receive notices, the association or the individual unit owners?

Senior Legal Associate Levelset
180 reviews

In Missouri, a building containing residential condominiums will be treated as a residential real property. So, for work on condominiums, the rules for residential jobs will apply.

Notably, on Missouri residential jobs, those who have not contracted with the property owner will have limited rights. That is, unless the direct contractor has gotten a consent of owner document signed by the property owner, then lien rights won’t be available.

As for notice or service requirements – those hired by someone other than the property owner must send a Notice of Intent to Lien at least 10 days before they file a mechanics lien claim. The notice must be sent to the property owner, to the property owner’s agent, or both of them. But, when working on a condo, it might be helpful to send the Notice of Intent to Lien to both the property owner and the condo owners’ association. That way, all bases are covered.

For more information on Missouri notices and liens, these resources should be valuable:

– Missouri Preliminary Notice Guide and FAQs
– Missouri Notice of Intent FAQs & Guide
– Missouri Mechanics Lien Guide and FAQs

Disclaimer: The information presented here is not legal advice and should not be construed as such. Rather, this content is provided for informational purposes. Do not act on this information as if it is advice. Further, this post does not create any attorney-client relationship. If you do need legal advice, seek the help of a local attorney.
Your answer or comment:
Are you a Registered Expert?
You are not logged in and will be posting
anonymously. Log in Now
Get answers from construction attorneys and payment experts
120 Character Limit