My carpet was installed six months ago. I paid 50% then waited four months for bald spots on corners of stair steps to be fixed by installer who couldn't do much and left before addressing all steps when I questioned him. The company kept thinking the problem was corrected then finally sent a manager two months later who took pictures and says if I want him to order more carpet and reinstall I would have ro pay in full. Then I received in mail same day a notice of intent to file a mechanics lien. Do I pay and ask to get in writing they will replace the bad steps? I'm in California.