How do I get my money back from a contractor I hired?

5 months ago

I hired a company to do concrete work, They did not finish the job and said they would refund my money but have not paid me my money. It’s been over a month. I have all the text messages and emails, also a voicemail from them.

Senior Legal Associate Levelset
103 reviews

Sending a demand letter demanding that a refund be given or that the work be completed might be a good first step in having a contractor returning payment. This is especially true where the demand letter points to specifics, poses specific legal warnings, or is sent via an attorney. If the contractor understands that the payment dispute is serious and that the owner won’t go away without a fight, it should be easier to get them to at least reopen discussions regarding payment.

If the contractor is licensed by the state of South Carolina, threatening to report them to the South Carolina Department of Labor, Licensing, and Regulation might convince them to come around. Further, putting the contractor on notice that you intend to review and/or report their business at places like the Better Business Bureau, Angie’s List, Yelp, and Google might be compelling too.

Finally, if push comes to shove, pursuing an action in small claims court or more traditional litigation might be an option, too.


I do not have an address for the persons I hired, I only have phone numbers and an email address.

Your answer or comment:
Are you a Registered Expert?
You are not logged in and will be posting
anonymously. Log in Now