Home>Levelset Community>Legal Help>File Lien or small Claims court.

File Lien or small Claims court.

North CarolinaMechanics Lien

Completed work on a apartment complex. Invoiced April 18th, 2017 for $1800.00. No payment yet. Property owner is stressing the property so all payments on hold. They are in the process of selling the property. Mechanics Lien is about $500. Would stop sale until they pay me. Can I recoup the legal fees of the lien? Owner lives in Texas, so they probably would show up to a small claims court.

1 reply

Jul 20, 2018
Provided that all the rules and requirements to file a valid and enforceable mechanics lien have been satisfied (notice requirements, timing requirements, formal requirements, etc.), North Carolina allows attorneys' fees to be granted to the prevailing party in a successful lien enforcement action at the discretion of the judge if the losing party unreasonably refused to resolve the matter. If payment is made prior to initiating an enforcement suit, the lien costs would likely not be recovered.
0 people found this helpful