Home>Levelset Community>Legal Help>Do I have any remedy if after I accept and pay for a remodel job I find a lot of problems?

Do I have any remedy if after I accept and pay for a remodel job I find a lot of problems?


I asked the subcontractor for the inspection reports upon completion of the work and he did not pull any permits. Bottom line, he is not licensed neither the plumber. This was a major renovation project $151K. Tile and cabinets are poorly installed. I asked for a cooking island and he gave me an eating island, where I cannot cook because my elbows touch the stove. I asked for a bar and he gave me a pass throu. He double charge me for many items that were included in the bid.

1 reply

Sep 27, 2018
I'm sorry to hear about that - I can't imagine how frustrating it must be to spend such a significant amount and receiving so little in return. Florida takes contractor licensing very seriously - and those who contract without a license (where licensure is required - such as plumbing) can face steep penalties. Specifically, if it's a contractor's first offense, they could face a 1st degree misdemeanor and up to a year of jail time or probation (though jail time is typically unlikely). If it's not a contractor's first offense, they may face a third degree felony and up to 5 years probation or jail time. Unlicensed contractors get hit in the wallet too - specifically, up to $10,000 in civil penalties. Further, when work is faulty or defective, even more serious damages can come into play, and a court could even force the contractor to repay all amounts received under the contract. On top of all that, faulty craftsmanship and a failure to follow designs could also lead to a Florida construction defect claim. This article provides great insight into how construction defect claims are made in Florida: Rights, Remedies and Procedures for Addressing Construction Defect Claims in Florida. Determining the best way to proceed will ultimately be informed by the claimant's desired outcome and the specific circumstances, so the best way to proceed may be to consult a local construction or real estate lawyer - they will be able to guide you through the potential remedies and help advise on how to proceed.
0 people found this helpful