Home>Levelset Community>Legal Help>What type of recourse do I have to get paid for wages earned for work done as a sub contractor?

What type of recourse do I have to get paid for wages earned for work done as a sub contractor?


I answered an advertisement on craigslist from Derricks Home Improvement, LLC. Michael Derrick answered my call. The advertisement stated that he was looking to take his home improvement business to the next level by hiring the right person to go out on jobs alone. We discussed my previous work experience and asked if I would help him finish a flooring project he was currently working on. If he liked my work, he would hire me as a sub contractor employee and pay me for my time. I greed. I showed up on time, he asked me few questions, finished the project in two days and paid me $150.00 cash. He said going forward, he would pay me $30 per hour plus reimbursement for any materials. I would keep track of my hours. He also said that I would need liability insurance as a 1099 employee and referred me to his insurance guy. I paid $622 for liability insurance. I worked a total of 97 hours, plus $15 for materials between May 2, 2018 and June 1, 2018. Mike paid me $960 on May 7, and $530 on May 16. Mike owes me $1435.00. What are my rights to seek payment for wages earned? I can provide more details if necessary. Thank you

1 reply

Jul 20, 2018
While mechanics liens are an available remedy for parties providing labor and/or materials to projects in PA, it may not be the most efficient way to go about recovery if the $1435 due is spread out over multiple jobs. This is because each separate property at which work was performed would require it's own lien process (notice, lien filing, etc.) and that may be overly burdensome for the amount collected at each. More information regarding mechanics lien process requirements can be found here:

There is also the option of recovery through a lawsuit, as well. As the amount in dispute is under $12,000 suit could be filed i small claims court (Magisterial District Court) to reduce the time and cost. An individual does not need to be represented by a lawyer which can simply the process and decrease the expense.
0 people found this helpful