we need help.

4 months ago
State: California

we had a four seasons sun room added to our property. The contractor we used pulled permits while his license was active. When work began we were unaware that the day work started on our property his license was inactive, he used unlicensed electricians causing arching and burning in the roof where the wires were frayed and exposed touching the metal and aching along with unauthorized extra expense for cement that he did not get our written or verbal permission for. He also charged us $4,000.00 to get the permits from the city and then charged us an additional 1407.00 for the permits themselves. The measurements of the room does not match the plans causing severe leaking from the roof and windows on a room that was less then a month and half old. We paid out over $60,000.00 to the contractor along with $13,500 dollars worth of additional work to the room that will need to be redone. Now the owner is denying any communication and willing to compensate for damages to our room, new floor and belonging in the the new room. As for the contract the construction was supposed to take tear down and construction was supposed to be two weeks no more then three. Our Project started August 19th, 2019 where we just found out that his license was inactive as of that day he started our project and is still incomplete 4 months later. He also had us pay for the finishing work that hasn’t been completed. We would like to write a letter from an attorney or be compensated back to us for the monies paid to him and the now additional work that needs to be done to fix the problem. We have also like to file a complaint to the contractors licensing board and with SWIFT. Please help us he has all of our money as well as right this wrong that we trusted

Attorney Hunt Ortmann Palffy Nieves Darling & Mah, Inc.
25 reviews

If your contractor was not properly licensed you can seek disgorgement of all amounts paid under Business and Professions Code section 7031.

You can file a complaint with the CSLB and they will conduct an investigation which usually includes a free expert who will visit the project and evaluate the claims in your complaint. The CSLB will provide you a copy of the expert’s findings and assuming they find violation of the licensing rules will issue a citation against the contractor. The citation may included a mandate that the contractor pay you damages as a condition to bringing its license current. You will also want to make a claim on the contractor’s license bond.

Your claim appears to be too large for the CLSB mandatory arbitration ($15,000) and voluntary arbitration ($50,000) procedures. Thus to get an enforceable judgement for the full amount you will need to consider file a lawsuit.

Disclaimer: NOTE: The information presented here is general in nature and is not intended nor should be construed as legal advice for any particular case or client. The content contained herein is published online for informational purposes only, may not reflect the most current legal developments, verdicts or settlements, and does not constitute legal advice. Do not act on the information contained herein without seeking the advice of licensed counsel. This posting does not create any attorney-client relationship and is neither intended to constitute an advertisement nor a solicitation.
1 found this helpful
Your answer or comment:
Are you a Registered Expert?
You are not logged in and will be posting
anonymously. Log in Now
Get answers from construction attorneys and payment experts
120 Character Limit