Home>Levelset Community>Legal Help>Mechanics Lien and Bond Claim

Mechanics Lien and Bond Claim

New YorkBond ClaimsMechanics Lien

STATE OF NEW YORK- Worked on a State Project, GC got paid for my work. Can I file a Mechanics lien on the property in addition to a Bond Claim? Thank you

1 reply

Sep 8, 2017
In New York, parties who performed work on a public improvement have two different / concurrent potential avenues to recovery:

1) File a Notice of Lien on Account of Public Improvements - which is lien on funds due to the GC from the public entity; and
2) Make a claim against the project's Bond.

Note, however, that on a public project the lien right does not attach to the underlying property, like it does on a private project. The "lien" works like a stop notice against the project's funds and does not provide the ability to foreclose on and force the sale of the property itself to satisfy the debt.

Add your answer or comment

Not the answer you were looking for? Check out other Bond Claims topics or ask your own question