PennsylvaniaBond ClaimsRecovery OptionsRight to Lien

I have received an order for equipment/services from a Contractor - who has an order directly from the West Goshen Sewer Authority. I am nervous they will not pay us - how can I protect our interests. Can I file a notice to lien when the order is signed so I can file a mechanics lien when they dont pay as contracted? This is a municipal project.

2 replies

Oct 23, 2019
On projects owned by a state, county, or municipality, mechanics lien rights will generally not be available. Instead, these projects typically require that the project's contractor post a payment bond for the benefit of the subcontractors and suppliers providing work to the job. And, in Pennsylvania, payment bonds will be required on most projects exceeding $5,000. How do payment bonds protect subcontractors and suppliers? Mechanics lien rights allow a claimant to place a lien on the property, encumbering the property title. Because public jobs are done on publicly owned land, claimants typically aren't able to just place a lien on land owned by the public. Instead, public agencies require their contractors to post payment bonds. A payment bond can essentially be thought of as a pile of money or an insurance policy. If a subcontractor or supplier performs work but isn't paid for it, they'll generally be entitled to make a claim against that pile of money/policy in order to recover payment (rather than a lien claim). Levelset has written about this in detail, here: The Payment [Surety] Bond Claim Process: Requirements and Mistakes to Avoid. More on Pennsylvania bond claims For more information on Pennsylvania bond claims: Pennsylvania Bond Claim Overview.
0 people found this helpful
Jul 12, 2022

I am similar problem and need help right now! Super Mario Bros 

Report Spam

Add your answer or comment

Not the answer you were looking for? Check out other Bond Claims topics or ask your own question