Home>Levelset Community>Legal Help>I need to file a bond claim in New York State

I need to file a bond claim in New York State

New YorkBond Claims

I placed a mechanical lien to a property. The lien was discharged by bond. I need to claim the bond.

3 replies

Aug 18, 2022
You need to contact the bonding company, you can see who that is either from the prime contract, your contract or the lien discharge. You will then need to submit a Proof of Claim to the bonding company (most likely). Unfortunately, from my experience, the bonding company is unlikely to take you seriously unless you retain an attorney.
Aug 18, 2022
Since this is a mechanic's lien bond, the surety is not going to deal with you unless there is a foreclosure action naming them. you will need an attorney for that purpose. I wish good luck.
Sep 21, 2022

In this situation, you still generally would need to file a lawsuit in court to "foreclose" the lien. Therefore, your avenue to recovery is very similar to what you would have to do had the lien not been bonded. The bond just removes the lien as an encumbrance on the physical property and does not materially change the procedure you need to follow to seek payment.  


Add your answer or comment

Not the answer you were looking for? Check out other Bond Claims topics or ask your own question