Home>Levelset Community>Legal Help>I need help filing a claim against a contractor bc I did not get paid

I need help filing a claim against a contractor bc I did not get paid

ArkansasMechanics LienNotice of Intent to LienPreliminary NoticeRecovery Options

The buddy/ licensed / insured/Bonded contractor I was working for messed up a homeowners kitchen last weekend. I was off work but Monday am the homeowner terminated the contract. The house was 3/4 finished and nothing was paid to me. The contractor said he had received nothing as far as a draw or any payment from the homeowner. I believe this to be a lie. The contractor has a record of dishonesty, fraudulent work experience and lies. An attorney ( hired by the contractor) is working on the issue but it will be several months. It is not my fault that the contractor I was working for royally messed up. I am out 100+ hours of pay and 2 weeks of my life

1 reply

Aug 5, 2019
It may be possible to file a mechanics lien against the property to secure the amount due. However, while mechanics liens are extremely powerful tools to get construction participants paid, there are rules and requirements that must be complied with in order for a mechanics lien to be effective, or even allowed.

On residential projects in Arkansas, a preliminary notice must be provided by at least one party on the project. If any party provides the property owner with the preliminary notice, it works to the benefit of all other project participants, and protects the work performed after the notice is given.

Additionally, a potential lien claimant on a residential project must provide the property owner with a notice of intent to lien at least 10 days prior to filing a lien itself (which must be recorded within 120 days from last furnishing labor or materials).

If a mechanics lien is not available, whether because no notice was given, or because deadlines have been missed, there may be other paths to recovery. Filing a lawsuit can be an effective path to getting paid, and if the amount in dispute is less than $5,000 suit may be filed in small claims court in order to limit expensive court costs and attorneys' fees.

If you decide to file a mechanics lien, you can learn more about the process and how to complete the filing with this how-to guide. Or, you can streamline the process by creating your document here.
0 people found this helpful