Home>Levelset Community>Legal Help>How to get paid buy an ex-employer is refusing to pay me my wages I've worked for.

How to get paid buy an ex-employer is refusing to pay me my wages I've worked for.

TexasPayment Disputes

I was working for an employer Construction Company and now they're refusing to pay me my wages that have work for. And I was wrongfully terminated after I got out of the hospital for a week.

1 reply

Jul 2, 2018
I'm sorry to hear about that. While employee wage claims aren't really in our wheelhouse, it's frustrating to see anyone treated unfairly or to see them go unpaid for their work. Anyway, to recover unpaid wages, it's typically a good idea to discuss the party who has failed to make payment. If a resolution can't be made with that party, making a claim under Texas' Unpaid Wage laws might be an option. For more information on those claims, and for information on filing such a claim, has a great resource here. Regarding wrongful termination, the general rule in Texas is that employment is "at will," save for a few exceptions. This means that, generally speaking, either party in an employment relationship may end that relationship at any time, for any reason, or even for no particular reason at all, with or without first providing notice. However, there are exceptions to this "at will" employment status. Namely, termination cannot be used on race, color, gender, religion, age, or disability. While the circumstances may vary, typically, an employer may not terminate their employee merely for sustaining and reporting a workplace injury or making a worker's comp claim. LegalMatch has a helpful resource here: What Are the Wrongful Termination Laws in Texas?
0 people found this helpful