How to file a lien or retrieve my money legally

2 weeks ago

I got referred to by a family member to another friend myself and a couple other gentleman went out order material and build a deck for the customer she said she was pulling our permits she was serving as the general contractor of her own property because she has a construction background she gave us a deposit and she fell to pay the other $6300 how do I go about selling a lien or retrieving my money just being hired as a labor

Additional info about this contractor
Project Role: Laborer
Project Type: Residential

My question is if I performed work for a friend building a deck at her home and she’s posing as a general contractor and she is involved in construction I was just doing the labor she wrote me a check for a deposit on the material the materials went over deposit cost and she is refusing to pay for the labor can I file a lien what is my best scenario

Attorney Pender & Coward, P.C.

To file a lien, you need to complete the lien form and there are a number of other requirements that must be filed. For example, the lien must be filed within 90 days of the last day of the month from which you last did work or 90 days from completion of the project, whichever is shorter.

You also could just file suit in General District Court which may be easier. If you did work for the owner and get a judgment you will have a lien on the property.

Please feel free to call me if you need a lawyer to assist you.

Your answer or comment:
Are you a Registered Expert?
You are not logged in and will be posting
anonymously. Log in Now
Get answers from construction attorneys and payment experts
120 Character Limit