Home>Levelset Community>Legal Help>How do I find the form for a Service Affidavit of a Mechanics Lien?

How do I find the form for a Service Affidavit of a Mechanics Lien?


We need to file a Service Affidavit, with our Circuit Clerk of DuPage county office, for work done on a Construction Vehicle. We performed the work. The owner did not pay so we filed a Mechanics Lien. The owner has since gone out of business and moved out of country. We are needing to title the vehicle so we have control over removing/selling it from our property. We have posted the Lien in 2 papers for 3 consecutive weeks and in auction assumed ownership of the vehicle. We need to navigate through this with our Circuit Clerk and they do not have a Service Affidavit or know what I'm talking about. Can you assist in finding the form so we can send it to the Secretary of State to title the vehicle?

1 reply

Dec 4, 2018
I'm sorry to hear about your trouble. To be sure, it sounds like you're referring to a lien on a piece of construction equipment. While the terminology can be tricky, in construction the term "mechanics lien" quite typically refers to a lien on the project real estate. For more info on such a lien, here's some background: Mechanics Lien Laws: What Are Lien Rights? and How to File an Illinois Lien. But back to the question... I think part of the reason for confusion may be a terminology difference - with a vehicle lien in Illinois, an Affidavit of/for Service is necessary, and the term "Service Affidavit" may be throwing the clerk off. This page should be helpful, regardless of whether you're in Cook County: Cook County Clerk of Court Forms. Among other forms, there are forms present for Affidavit for Service.

Add your answer or comment

Not the answer you were looking for? Ask your own question