Home>Levelset Community>Legal Help>Can I apply a mechanic's lien on work in process for unpaid computer consulting work?

Can I apply a mechanic's lien on work in process for unpaid computer consulting work?

New Jersey

I'm validating a computer system for a small pharmaceutical company. They are unhappy with my last invoice for January and are currently refusing to pay it. I'm still working on the project, and at the end of this month I propose to submit January and February invoices together, and I'd like to cut off access to the document management system where the work is stored, until the bills are paid. Can I do this?

3 replies

Feb 23, 2018
First, mechanics liens are for payment security in the construction industry. A mechanics lien claim for non-construction work would not be proper. Specifically, the New Jersey mechanics lien statute provides lien rights for those that provide work, services, material or equipment that improves real property. There's little wiggle room for interpretation, too, as "improvement" under the statute is defined as "any actual or proposed physical changes to real property resulting from the provision of work, services, or material."
0 people found this helpful
May 24, 2023

Ohh, interesting! You know, computers are incredibly versatile machines capable of performing a wide range of tasks. They can process and store vast amounts of information, perform complex calculations, create and edit documents, play multimedia content, connect to the internet, and run various software applications. 

Report Spam
May 24, 2023

Hi! I understand the difficulties of studying and managing your computer science homework. Sometimes finding the right help can be a struggle, but you can try . They specialize in providing computer science assignment help, catering to a range of topics and skill levels. From Java to Python, their team of experts has got you covered. So, if you need assistance with your coding assignments, it is your go-to resource. 

Report Spam

Add your answer or comment

Not the answer you were looking for? Ask your own question