Bonded off lien

North CarolinaBond Claims

I have a lien filed that has been bonded around, for months the GC says they want to work it out but continue to ignore any deadlines we place for a resolution. I have finally had enough and need to file a foreclosure lawsuit. My question is this: The jobsite is in Charlotte, NC but both us (sub) and the GC are based in Ga. Must I file in NC because the work was done there or may I file in Ga since the property is no longer subject to the lien? I am no longer foreclosing on the property but on the bond.

1 reply

Jan 22, 2018
This is a really good question, and I'm not sure it's one I've seen before at the Construction Legal Center. In North Carolina, to bond off a mechanics lien, a surety bond must be deposited with the clerk of court in the county where the lien claim was made. Further, if a lien claim arises under North Carolina law and attaches to North Carolina property, the claim will be made under North Carolina law. Thus, it follows that a bond claim should be made in the county where the property was located. Granted, another mode of recovery (such as a breach of contract claim) might be available in Georgia where both parties are located.

Add your answer or comment

Not the answer you were looking for? Check out other Bond Claims topics or ask your own question