Am I in the right demanding a client pays outstanding balance
I’m an interior designer in Ontario, Canada. I understand laws vary but I would appreciate some general guidance and I’m having payment issues with a client. to provide some background:
* Design stage was a separate agreement, for which last services were provided in January 2019. There’s an outstanding balance of %50 of the fixed fee provided.
* Construction stage started in February 2019 with the interior designers (me) providing project management services to supervise the progress while the client was out for town for the duration of the renovation
* Third parties (contractor, carpenter) were recommended by me and hired by the client (all parties provided separate quotes, and contracts) but payments were managed by me given the client wasn’t available.
* Third parties messed up and didn’t deliver in time and caused some damage in the process. I took care of minimizing complications, and provided solutions for damage and/or delays within the range of my possibilities
* There were still 2 outstanding items to take care of relate to the contractors mistakes. Initially I was not able to look after them as I was out of the country but later wasn’t able because the client is not in the city
* The client has reached out calling for further issues. Some of which I can confirm whether they were caused during construction or after
* I recognized my failure in the management area and the client was compensated with a discount to my total fees
* Client owes money both from the design stage (which has concluded) and from the construction and project management stage (which has 2 outstanding items)
MY questions is: Am I responsible to pay for the reparation cost that will be incurred due to these issues? Can the client keep on pilling more and more issues as my responsibility 6 months after construction? Can I continue charging the client for the management fees that would be incurred while I manage fixing these issues? Doesn’t the client has a responsibility to pay for the services that have been provided more than 6 months ago…even if there are outstanding revisions?