Filing a mechanics lien in Kidder County

If you’re trying to record a mechanics lien or construction notice in Kidder County, North Dakota, you’re in the right place. On this page, you’ll find contact information for the Kidder County Recorder, document rules, delivery requirements, fees, payment methods, and more.

Want to file faster?
You can easily record a document with the Kidder County Recorder in just a few clicks.
File your lien now.

Before you file a lien in Kidder County, read How to File a Lien in North Dakota for a step-by-step guide to the process and requirements.

Types of documents recorded in this office:
Mechanics lien
Lien release
UCC lien

Download Kidder County Recorder Forms:

Lien FAQs for Kidder County

Where do I file a mechanics lien in Kidder County, North Dakota?

You can file your Recorder in person at the Recorder's Office, located at:
120 E Broadway
Steele, North Dakota, 58482

Hours of operation:
Monday - Friday, 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
Closed for lunch from 12:00 pm - 1:00 pm

If you need more information, you can call them at (701) 475-4548.


File your lien electronically with Levelset now

Can I file a mechanics lien in Kidder County, North Dakota?

Generally, anyone who provides labor or materials to a construction project has the right to file a mechanics lien in North Dakota. If the project property was located in Kidder County, then the lien must be filed with the Kidder County Recorder, regardless of where you or your company are located. But whether or not you have the right to file a lien will depend on a number of factors, including your position on the payment chain, whether you sent the required notices, and whether the deadline has passed.

To learn more about the requirements and deadlines, visit the North Dakota Mechanics Lien Guide & FAQ page.

When is the deadline to file a lien in Kidder County?

In Kidder County, North Dakota, your deadline to file a mechanics lien is dependent upon your role in the project. General contractors have 90 days to file a lien after the last furnishing labor or materials. Subcontractors and suppliers have 90 days to file.

How much does it cost to file a lien in Kidder County?

Currently, the cost to file a lien with the Kidder County Recorder is as follows:
$20 for the first 6 pages $65.00 for 7-25 pages $3.00 per page for each page over 25

Costs change periodically.

How do I release or cancel a lien with the Kidder County Recorder?

To cancel a lien that you previously recorded in Kidder County, you will need to file a lien release. The fee is $20.

A mechanics lien is typically canceled after the claim has been paid, or when the lien expires.

How can I get a copy of a lien or other document recorded in Kidder County?

The Kidder County Recorder maintains a record of all property documents, including mechanics liens and certain construction notices. You can obtain either a certified or conformed copy of a document. Related: What type of document copy do you need?

In person

120 E Broadway Steele, ND 58482-7111

By mail

PO Box 66 Steele, ND 58482-0066


The Kidder County Recorder does not currently have an online resource for requesting document copies.

Do preliminary notices need to be recorded in Kidder County?

Preliminary notices are not recorded in Kidder County. Learn more about North Dakota’s preliminary notice requirements and how to send one.