Guide to filing construction documents in Carver County, Minnesota

Contractors and suppliers working on a project within Carver County should get familiar with the Carver County Recorder. This is the office that records documents related to the property, including mechanics liens and notices.

This page contains all of the information construction businesses need to file liens and other documents with the Carver County Recorder, including locations, hours, fees, form downloads, and more..

Levelset makes it even easier:
File a document now with the Carver County Recorder in just a few clicks.

The mechanics lien rules in Minnesota can be complex. Before recording a lien in Carver County, read Filing a Lien in Minnesota: A Step-by-Step Guide to make sure you understand the process, and common mistakes.

Download Carver County Recorder Forms:

Lien FAQs for Carver County

What types of documents can I file at the Carver County Recorder?

This office records a variety of property-related documents, including:
Mechanics lien
Lien release
UCC lien

Which office records mechanics liens in Carver County, Minnesota?

Filing in person

You can file your Recorder in person at the Land Records & Vitals Department, located at:
600 East 4th St.
Chaska, Minnesota, MN, 55318

Hours of operation:
Monday - Friday, 8:00 am - 4:30 pm

If you need more information, you can call them at (952) 361-1930.


File your lien electronically with Levelset now.

Who can file a lien in Carver County?

If you provided labor or materials on a construction project located in Carver County, Minnesota, then your mechanics lien should be filed here. However, every state has specific rules about who has the right to file a lien, including notice requirements and specific deadlines. To make sure you are allowed to file a lien, visit the Minnesota Mechanics Lien Guide & FAQ page.

What is the deadline to file a lien claim in Carver County, Minnesota?

In Minnesota, your deadline to file a mechanics lien is dependent upon your role in the project. In general:
General contractors have 120 days to file a lien after the date of last furnishing labor or materials. Subcontractors and suppliers have 120 days to file after date of last furnishing labor or materials.

What are the Carver County Recorder fees to file a lien?

Here are the costs to file a mechanics lien in Carver County, Minnesota:
Recording Documents $46

Recording offices do update their fee structure periodically. We recommend contacting the Carver County Recorder to verify the recording costs, especially before mailing a document.

Visit the Carver County Recorder fees page for the latest information.

What forms of payment are accepted at the Carver County Recorder?

Carver County Recorder accepts the following forms of payment:

Cash, checks or credit cards (Visa, MasterCard & Discover)

If paying by check, make it payable to Carver County.

How do I release a lien in Carver County once I’ve been paid?

To cancel a lien previously recorded with the Carver County Recorder, you will need to record a lien release.
Lien release fee:

How do I get copies of documents from the Carver County Recorder?

In Carver County, filed documents are public record. Copies of mechanics liens and other property documents are available upon request from the Carver County Recorder.

In person

600 East 4th St. Chaska, 55318


Certified copy: $10 per document (flat fee)

Conformed copy: $2