What type of lien can i file?

2 weeks ago

I was a consultant on a project. Consulted in real estate, design, building inspections. What lien can i file?

Senior Legal Associate Levelset
355 reviews

California mechanics lien rights are available to those who permanently improve the project property. Often, this will include roles like construction managers, depending on the specific work they do and where they do it. Further, licensed and registered design professionals (architects, engineers, surveyors) will have lien rights too. Still, by and large, lien rights are generally restricted to those who perform work on-site and physically improve the project property.

With that being said, if you haven’t performed any site work, if you haven’t managed or coordinated work on the job, or if you aren’t licensed or registered as a design professional, then mechanics lien rights likely won’t be available.

These resources should be useful:

– Construction Managers Probably Can File Mechanic Liens in California – Even Without A License
– Who can file a California Mechanics Lien?

Disclaimer: The information presented here is not legal advice and should not be construed as such. Rather, this content is provided for informational purposes. Do not act on this information as if it is advice. Further, this post does not create any attorney-client relationship. If you do need legal advice, seek the help of a local attorney.
Your answer or comment:
Are you a Registered Expert?
You are not logged in and will be posting
anonymously. Log in Now
Get answers from construction attorneys and payment experts
120 Character Limit