We are General Contractor for public works in California. Just received notice of Nonpayment from one of our sub.

10 months ago

I am working for GC for California Public works and one of sub didn’t get paid due to several reasons (we have hard evidence that this sub didn’t perform such work so we didn’t pay them).
Now I received Notice of Nonpayment from this sub. I researched a bit but in order to file mechanic lien or bond claim, sub must have submitted 20 days preliminary notice. This sub didn’t submit prelim notice so I assume that sub doesn’t have right to file a claim on this project. right?
As a GC, what kind of action should we take after receiving this notice? Should we do something?

Managing Partner Gibbs Giden LLP
35 reviews

Your direct subcontractor does not necessarily have to serve a preliminary notice (Civil Code section 9300(b)(2)).  There are possible defenses that a payment bond surety can raise if the subcontractor makes a payment bond claim due to the failure to serve a preliminary notice, but the subcontractor can likely go ahead with a stop payment notice.  You should definitely consult an attorney to discuss your specific situation, but you should probably respond in writing.   This decision may also depend on your subcontract agreement with the subcontractor and your obligations to provide notice of failure to perform etc.

Disclaimer: NOTE: The information presented here is general in nature and is not intended nor should be construed as legal advice for any particular case or client. The content contained herein is published online for informational purposes only, may not reflect the most current legal developments, verdicts or settlements, and does not constitute legal advice. Do not act on the information contained herein without seeking the advice of licensed counsel. This posting does not create any attorney-client relationship and is neither intended to constitute an advertisement nor a solicitation.
1 found this helpful
Your answer or comment:
Are you a Registered Expert?
You are not logged in and will be posting
anonymously. Log in Now
Get answers from construction attorneys and payment experts
120 Character Limit