step two lien

11 months ago

How do i go about step two on a mechanics lien for Massachusetts? The directions a tec sent me didn’t make sense.

Senior Legal Associate Levelset
414 reviews

Filing a Massachusetts mechanics lien is a two-step process, with the second step being the filing of a Statement of Account. Much like the first step of the Massachusetts mechanics lien process (the “Notice of Written Contract” or “Notice of Written Subcontract”), a Statement of Account must be filed in the registry of deeds in the county or district where the land lies. You can download an example of that document here: Massachusetts Statement of Account Form.

The deadline for filing a Statement of Account is the earliest of the following dates:

(1) 90 days after a Notice of Substantial Completion is filed (if applicable);
(2) 120 days after a Notice of Termination is filed (if applicable);
(3) 120 days from the last date when the claimant furnished labor or materials to the project

Finally, keep in mind that there are two classes of land in Massachusetts, and that may actually affect where the Statement of Account is filed. Levelset discusses that option here: How to File a Massachusetts Mechanics Lien – A Practical Guide.

Lastly, as always, note that Levelset can help facilitate the filing process. You can begin an order here.

Disclaimer: The information presented here is not legal advice and should not be construed as such. Rather, this content is provided for informational purposes. Do not act on this information as if it is advice. Further, this post does not create any attorney-client relationship. If you do need legal advice, seek the help of a local attorney.
Founding Partner Goldman Law Group
5 reviews

Feel free to give me a call.




Goldman Law Group
60 Austin Street, Suite 210                                                
Newton, MA 02460                                                                

 T: 617-953-3760

 F: 617-321-4191

“Massachusetts Builders Blog”

“Home Contractor vs. Homeowner Blog”

Your answer or comment:
Are you a Registered Expert?
You are not logged in and will be posting
anonymously. Log in Now
Get answers from construction attorneys and payment experts
120 Character Limit