Home>Levelset Community>Legal Help>Options for collecting final payment

Options for collecting final payment


Hello. We have a client that does not want to pay for the remaining total of his punchlist items of a renovation project, and he is threatening to get a lawyer. We have already given him a discount on some of his items already during the project. We have a meeting with the client tomorrow to try and resolve. Could we take him to small claims court? Or what would be the best course of action? We did not have a Medication clause in the contract used.

2 replies

May 4, 2021
You can pursue a “small claims” case in Magistrate Court if your claim is less than $15,000. If you completed work within the last 90 days you have the right to lien the property. Either route may be enough to convince them to pay up. If you involve an attorney you can also threaten them that they may be responsible for those costs as well. Also explain to them that interest is accruing at 1 1/2 % per month under Georgia law. Hope this helps.
May 7, 2021
Small claims court would work for amounts under $15,000.00. If you decide to hire a lawyer, give me a call. Josh Stone 404-202-2723. josh@stonebelus.com thanks. Josh

Add your answer or comment

Not the answer you were looking for? Ask your own question