Mechanics Lien

2 weeks ago

I represent a company which rented construction equipment to a contractor for use in the construction of a sea wall for a residence. Can we file a valid Mechanics Lien?

Principal Cavanaugh & Quesada, PLC
1 review

Yes.  You would be classified as a supplier. If you worked for a contractor, and not the owner of the property, you would need to serve a Notice of Furnishing within 20 days of your first work.

Section 107 of the lien statute provides in relevant part that “Each contractor, subcontractor, supplier, or laborer who provides an improvement to real property shall have a construction lien upon the interest of the owner or lessee who contracted for the improvement to the real property . . .”

Supplier means “a person who, pursuant to a contract with a contractor or a subcontractor, leases, rents, or in any other manner provides material or equipment which is used in the improvement of real property.” (MCL 570.1106(5)).


Your answer or comment:
Are you a Registered Expert?
You are not logged in and will be posting
anonymously. Log in Now