Filing a lien for out of state work

6 months ago

If I’m licensed/registered business in Idaho can I file a lien on work performed in WA

Senior Legal Associate Levelset
445 reviews

Washington is very strict about its licensing rules, and only licensed contractors are able to file mechanics liens in Washington state. And, as far as I can tell, Idaho and Washington don’t appear to have an agreement or system in place which allows licensed Idaho contractors to perform work in Washington. However, being unlicensed in Washington will only prevent filing a lien if the work that was performed requires licensure. So, it might be worth checking with a Washington licensing expert – like a licensing consultant or a Washington construction attorney – for more clarity on whether the work done requires licensure.

Still, the bottom line remains: If a licensed Idaho contractor performs work in Washington that requires a Washington contractor license, that Idaho contractor won’t be entitled to lien if they don’t hold the necessary Washington license.

Disclaimer: The information presented here is not legal advice and should not be construed as such. Rather, this content is provided for informational purposes. Do not act on this information as if it is advice. Further, this post does not create any attorney-client relationship. If you do need legal advice, seek the help of a local attorney.
Your answer or comment:
Are you a Registered Expert?
You are not logged in and will be posting
anonymously. Log in Now
Get answers from construction attorneys and payment experts
120 Character Limit