Utah contractor licensing illustration

According to the Utah Construction Trades Licensing Act, nearly every construction-related business requires a license to operate. Fortunately, the process for obtaining a license is fairly straightforward: choose the correct license, complete a course, register your business, pass an examination, and fill out an application.

While this may seem like a lot at first, we’ve got all of the details so you don’t miss a step in the Utah contractor licensing process. Read on for everything you need to know.

How to get a Utah contractors license

There are many license types available to contractors in Utah, and they all go through the Department of Occupational and Professional Licensing (DOPL). While you’d think having all those licenses under one roof would make licensing a breeze, it’s not that straightforward.

General contractors

A General Contractor’s license isn’t just a general contractor’s license in Utah. There are seven categories a general contractor could fall into, including:

  • B100 – General Contractor
  • R100 – Residential/Small Commercial Contractor
  • E100 – General Engineering Contractor
  • P200 – General Plumbing Contractor
  • P201 – Residential Plumbing Contractor
  • E200 – General Electrical Contractor
  • E201 – Residential Electrical Contractor

To apply for any of these general contractor licenses, you must meet the following requirements:

  1. Complete a 30-hour pre-licensure course through Associated Builders and Contractors Inc, Utah Home Builders Association, or Associated General Contractors of Utah
  2. Carry a general liability insurance certificate with coverage of $100,00 for each incident and $300,000 in total, with DOPL listed as the certificate holder.
  3. Register your business entity with the Utah Division of Corporations
  4. Obtain a Federal EIN from the IRS
  5. If you have employees, carry workers compensation insurance, unemployment registration from the Utah Department of Workforce Services, and state withholding tax registration from the Utah State Tax Commission.
  6. Possess two years of experience in the construction industry. This means accumulating 4,000 hours of paid work experience at any time in your life in the industry. 
  7. Pass a two-part examination consisting of Utah Business and Law as well as industry-specific questions (view the exam handbook for more info); OR possess one year of licensed experience in another state; OR be a qualifier on a Utah Contractor License prior to May 9, 2017. (Note: The exam is offered in both English and Spanish.)
  8. Plumbing and electrical contractors must have a Master-level license holder on staff as well. 

Once you have all of those requirements in the bag, you’ll be able to fill out this application and send it to DOPL for review.

Specialty Contractors

Specialty contractors have similar hurdles to jump through on their way to licensing in Utah. And there are even more license types available for these contractors:

  • S202 – Solar Photovoltaic Contractor
  • S220 – Carpentry & Flooring Contractor
  • S230 – Masonry, Siding, Stucco, Glass, and Rain Gutter Contractor
  • S260 – Asphalt & Concrete Contractor
  • S270 – Drywall, Paint, and Plastering Contractor
  • S280 – Roofing Contractor
  • S310 – Foundation, Excavation, and Demolition Contractor
  • S330 – Landscape & Recreation Contractor
  • S350 – HVAC Contractor
  • S354 – Radon Mitigation
  • S370 – Fire Suppression Systems Contractor
  • S410 – Boiler, Pipeline, Waste Water, and Water Conditioner Contractor
  • S440 – Sign Installation Contractor
  • S510 – Elevator Contractor
  • S700 – Limited Scope Contractor

The only significant change in the process from the general contractor requirements listed above is that the pre-licensure course is only 25 hours. In fact, even the application is the same

Penalties for unlicensed contracting 

As you might’ve guessed from the volume of license types and the stringent guidelines, Utah takes its contractor licensing requirement very seriously. 

According to Utah Code 58-55-501 et seq., being caught contracting without a license is punishable with a fine of up to $1,000. Second offenses can cost as much as $2,000. Any further issues can cost you as much as $2,000 per day spent contracting without a license.

That’s a lot of scratch; It’s probably best to just get a license and keep the state off of your back.

Do you need a license to file a mechanics lien in Utah?

Utah’s mechanics lien law doesn’t explicitly require contractors to carry a license as a condition to file a lien if payment doesn’t come through on a project. With that said, it’s never a good idea to contract for work that requires a license if you don’t hold one.

Consider this: Even though the law doesn’t prevent you from filing a lien, you might have to foreclose on it. How fondly will the court look upon your case if you’re working without a license even though the state requires one? The best advice is to carry any license the state requires before you start work on a project.

Protecting your payments in Utah

It would be a shame to lose out on thousands of dollars for something as silly as not carrying the license required by the state. It would be a downright travesty to lose out on your payments simply because you didn’t protect them and preserve your right to a mechanics lien. And to do so, Utah contractors need to keep their eyes on some specific deadlines.

Whether you’re a general contractor, a sub, a specialty trade, or a supplier, you’ll have to send a preliminary notice in order to protect your right to a mechanics lien. Regardless of the tier, Utah gives you up to 20 days to send your notices. But don’t look at this step as just another requirement: Preliminary notices serve as a professional introduction between your company and the folks writing the checks — those are the people you want to remember your name.

Should a payment dispute arise, all contracted tier levels have up to 90 days from notice of completion to file a mechanics lien. If the notice isn’t filed, contractors may extend that window to 180 days from completion of work — a deadline that could be tricky on larger, long-running projects. Past that 180-day mark, it’s too late to file a lien.

Finally, if the payment dispute doesn’t pan out favorably, contractors might have to enforce the lien. All tiers have up to 180 days from the date that they filed the lien. And you’ll also have to file a lis pendens with the county where the embattled property is located.

Regardless of the type of contractor or the tier level, it’s important to understand that Utah isn’t messing around with its licensing requirements or mechanics lien laws. But if you stay on the right side of both of them, you’ll be able to run a legitimate, prosperous business for years to come.

Was this article helpful?
3 out of 3 people found this helpful
You voted . Change your answer.