New to sending preliminary notices? We’ve got you. Not so new? You’ll still want to download this guide.
Preliminary notices are one of the most important documents available to construction parties because they preserve your right to file a lien. Because preliminary notices are critical to securing payment, it is important to make sure that you understand how and when to send one.
We have put together a simple, straightforward Beginner’s Guide to Preliminary Notices that makes it easy for everyone to master these key documents. We outline the purpose and process of preliminary notices and address common questions and misunderstandings. Here’s what you’ll get:
- What and Why? Here we discuss (you guessed it!) what a preliminary notice is and why you should send them.
- Deadlines: Preliminary notice deadlines depend on several factors. Here we explain how to find your deadline and make sure you send notices on time.
- Research: Preliminary notices often require specific information such as “legal property description.” Not sure what that is or where to find it? Don’t worry, we explain it all.
- Preparing Your Notice: Once again, preliminary notice rules and requirements vary by state. Here we explain how to make sure your preliminary notice is valid.
- Identifying Recipients and Mailing Methods: Addressing and mailing your preliminary notice is the final step to protecting your lien rights. This section walks you through the process.